Even as a student at school, you may find that you enjoy organizing and planning events. If this is the case, then event planning is a potential niche for your career path. Indeed, event planning can actually be extremely fun as long as you truly enjoy what you are doing.
On the other hand, being an event planner can be very stressful as it is a very demanding job. This is why not everyone has what it takes to become an event planner. Hence, here’s what you need to know about how to start a career of event planner in college.
What Do You Need to Become an Event Planner?
There are certain skills, qualities, and experience that are necessary to be a good event planner. If you have these already, you will likely be a great event planner, but if you don’t, you can still acquire them:
- Organizational Skills: Obviously, you need to be a good organizer. Organizational skills are the foundation of any good event planner’s work because that’s pretty much what you will need to do – plan and organize.
- Negotiating Skills: At the same time, it’s very important to be a good negotiator and possess exceptional communication skills. Most of the time, you will need to be talking to different people, so you need to be able to persuade them to do what you want them to do.
- Budgeting Skills: A massive part of event planning is budgeting which is why you need to be good at it. Knowing how to divide the budget between the different elements of the event is essential for you to be able to plan and execute the said event properly.
- Networking Skills: Particularly at the beginning of your career as an event planner, you will need to dedicate a lot of time to networking. However, it will be easier to get work once you have an actual client base.
- Flexibility and Adaptability: Some soft skills you will definitely need are flexibility and adaptability. These will help you get through even the most critical situations during your event planner career.
How Should You Get Experience?
As mentioned above, at the beginning of your career, it will be absolutely vital for you to network to get work. Networking is the only way you can get initial work when you don’t have enough experience or a big enough client base. Moreover, the more experience you get, the better professional you will become at your job. This, in turn, means that you can potentially start getting more high-profile clients.
The best place to start is with volunteer work. You can help our non-profit organizations to plan their events and even participate in them by performing various tasks (anything you can get your hands on). As you work at these events, start talking to different vendors and other guests to make valuable connections and then get actual clients.
Thanks to such volunteering, you will learn valuable event planning skills, get experience, and develop your network. However, you should also do your own research about the industry and follow the latest developments in event planning. Treat this seriously and you will definitely be able to have a great career as an event planner.
How Can You Use Social Media for Your Benefit?
Though it may seem unnecessary, using social media to become an event planner can actually be an extremely good choice. As John Sheffield from a custom writing reviews site puts it, “Social media is perfect for growing your online presence which can be quite helpful for any professional in almost any industry. It’s great for showcasing your past work and connecting with other professionals like yourself among other things.”
As an event planner, you will probably benefit most from Facebook and LinkedIn. Facebook is regarded as the perfect social media platform for professional connections that is still casual enough. LinkedIn, on the other hand, is specifically designed to be used for professional needs. Try both Facebook and LinkedIn, but you could probably settle for either and be successful enough with your platform of choice.
To sum up, becoming an event planner can be the perfect choice for you if you have the necessary skills and are willing to learn. It can be challenging at first, but the more experience you get, the easier it will be for you to do your job right. To get started on this career path, use the tips in this article and make a plan for your future career.